Friday, October 1, 2010

Bottled water

Whenever we go to Europe for a vacation, the issue of bottled water comes up. When one asks for water in a restaurant, the invariable question the waiter asks is, “with gas or without?” There is no mention of tap water in his query.

Invariably, we divide ourselves in two groups. One group thinks that it is OK to order one of the two types of bottled waters. The other, its members sticking to their rights as customers, and having previously learned what tap water is called in the local language, makes a go for the option not offered. Argument usually ensues between these two groups about the merits of the two approaches.

The tap water group argues that it is better for the ecology---and that is a perfectly valid reason. The other reason, although not stated clearly, is that the bottled water costs money, the tap water is generally free. One can not argue with that either.

The arguments against ordering tap water are fuzzier but equally compelling, at least to me.

The first is that it is the custom of the country and we should obey. People in these countries do not consider it safe or civil to drink tap water, as we do in the US. As an examlpe, when the Western visitors go to India, they are expected to follow the local customs, however indignant they may be about them. For example, they would be expected to remove their shoes in a temple, no matter how filthy the floor is. The same logic applies here.

The second reason is closely associated---and that has to do with pride. I am an American and perfectly comfortable with the western ways. While I am proud of my Indian heritage, I believe that there are better ways of displaying it than sticking like a sore thumb in a restaurant. I do not want to give the waiter an opportunity to make faces at me, saying to himself, “Here comes another cheap Indian.” It is a matter of pride for me.

Needless to say, I usually end up losing the argument when the group consists entirely of Indians. How can one argue against ecology and saving money? And what is this “custom of the country” and “pride” bit?

May be I think differently. May be there are others like me who think of ecology and money not as sacred cows that can not be touched, but as elements of tradeoffs one makes in the overall context of the situation. It is OK to spend a bit more than necessary, and purchasing a bottle of water (generally of recyclable glass not plastic) on occasions is not going to destroy the eco system.

8 comments:

  1. My view - we should not hesitate to request for tap water in Europe even if they do not drink it. However, we should also try to understand (without making faulty assumptions) why they do not normally drink tap water. Key point to note here is that they drink bottled water as a "preference" and not because tap water is unsafe. They are willing to pay more for water that has the right content and taste - just like some prefer to pay 3x the price for Starbucks coffee because it has a better taste than the usual watery coffee in the US. Sure, marketing does brainwashes us!

    Everyone in Germany knows that tap water is safe – but prefer not to drink it since they believe that the taste and mineral content of bottled water (of their choice) is better. It is a similar preference when drinking out of the right type of glass for each type of beer or wine or schnapps. They genuinely believe that it is a better experience. Now, it has become so much of a norm that people believe that it is odd to drink tap water or odd to drink wine or beer out of an ordinary glass. You will find that Europe has many such established cultural traits when it comes to food, drinks, serving, etiquette etc. Similarly, in the USA ice is standard with soda and water – in Europe, it is a no-no. We need tolerance both ways: accept customs of foreigners and that of the host countries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just remember that whatever Meera does is always right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it very surprising that my father cares what other people think of him, especially a random waiter in Europe. Come on, dad. I don't drink tap water in places where I'm not sure if it's safe or not.

    Are you trying to prove you're not an Indian? Or not cheap? I'm both, and proud. It's a recession, man! Everyone's trying to save a dime. Even Indians.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ami, we all care about what other people think of us, unless we achieve a higher state and get rid of our egos. Not havig done that, I find a lowly waiter insulting me more offensive than someone in a higher standing (not being politically correct here, am I?). I am not trying to prove anything, just that I do not wnat to be type cast as someone I am not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A reminder: your daughter was a "lowly waiter" for many summers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted to comment on this earlier but kep on putting it off. First of all I take a very strong objection to classifying someone as "Lowly Waiter". As a unitarian, our first priciple is an inherent worth and dignity of each and every human being, (waiters and waitresses included). Secondly, I am mature enough in my conviction to worry about what anyone would think about my ordering a spcific product. I do not know about Germany but in France, I never saw any one look down upon someone if they ordered "Table Water" instead of "Perrier". I always ordered "Table Water". If it is good enough from French, it is good enough from me. Thirdly, my Bhabhi, your mother, taught us to do what is right regardless of public opinion. For Example, she was the first woman driver that we know of in Junagadh. She did not worry about what people may think! As a matter of fact, a lot of comments were made about her whan she drove in Junagadh. She was also pinoeer. She told our family that she would not address her 5 year old Devar with archaic system of "Aap". She proudly and justifiable addressed me as "Tu".
    Next, as a resident of this earth we consume 51 Billion bottles of bottled water per year. Only 20% of the bottles are recycled. Rest wind up at the ocean floor and in the land fill. It is easy to justify. Oh I am in Germany for a few days only, why should I worry about few plastic bottles. In my opinion, it is up to us to make that statement.

    As a unitarian our last pricipal says that we are connected to each other with inherent web. You consuming a bottle impacts a person in Somalia or Rajkot or Greenville. We can not just say that I will buy a Hummer, because I can afford it.

    Bharat

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was expecting this to create a controversy and I sure have done that. "You asked for it, you got it," as the Toyota jingle used to say. I knew it was politically incorrect to say "lowly waiter" and I was reminded that it is so. OK..OK. Got it. I am being honest about what I feel like when the bottled water situation arises in a restuarant. I don't think it makes me an uncaring, elitist, money wasting, and ecologically insentitive person. Does it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, and other thing. I never meant "lowley waiter" comment to be demeaning to anyone. I too, like Suzy Q believe in dignity of each human being. My use of the term was light hearted. I have never been a waiter but have been lowley this and that in my life and would not have been offended if someone told me so. However, that is not the case as I found out from the above comments. As I said, I do care about what people think of me and so wanted to clarify.

    ReplyDelete